For students going into 5th-8th grades
July 27 – July 31, 2020
Locations: The camp will be based at the Deke Slayton Museum with drop off in mornings and pick up in afternoons always at the Museum. Our daily locations will be as follows, and they are all mostly within walking distance of the museum:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday morning:
- 8:00am- 12:00pm- Deke Slayton Museum– 200 W. Main St., Sparta, WI
- 12:00pm- 1:00pm- Mayo Hospital in Sparta, cafeteria 310 W. Main St., Sparta, WI
- 1:00pm- 4:30pm- Sparta City Hall– 201 W. Oak St., Sparta, WI
- 4:30pm- 5:00pm- Deke Slayton Museum– 200 W. Main St., Sparta, WI
Wednesday: On Wednesday drop off and pick up will still be at the Deke Slayton Museum, but in-between we will be traveling by bus to:
- 10:30am- 12:00pm- Sparta Pool– 725 Pine St, Sparta, WI
- 1:00pm- 2:30pm- Sparta Airport– 6058 Hangar Way, Sparta, WI
- 2:30- 4:30pm- Planetarium at the University of LaCrosse– 1725 State Street, LaCrosse, WI
Friday: On Friday drop off and pick up will still be at the Deke Slayton Museum, but during the day we will be traveling by bus to the field at Southside elementary to fire off the rockets:
- Southside Elementary School – 1023 Walwrath St., Sparta, WI
Phone numbers during camp: If you need to get in touch with your child or the camp organizers during the camp you can call the museum at 608-269-0033. Additional phone numbers will be provided upon registration.
Groups: Your student will have the opportunity to work with all of the camp participants throughout the week. We will also be breaking the participants into groups of 4 for team building and leadership activities. Your student will be part of this same group for the whole week; three days they will be a group member and the other day they will be the group leader- giving every student the chance to lead. There are a total of 2 hours each day for team building activities which your student will do as part of their group of four. Being a team player is vital for an astronaut!
Space Camp Notification: Approximately 2 weeks before the start of camp the student will receive by mail their official letter requesting them to report to the Deke Slayton Museum for the beginning of Space Camp. When the student arrives at Space Camp they will be presented with their custom Space Camp shirt which they will wear every day for the week of camp, a drawstring backpack, a water bottle, and a personalized log book.
Graduation and Party– Friday evening at the end of the camp we will be holding a small graduation ceremony and party/dinner which the students and their families are invited to attend.
Applications are accepted on a first come basis, and we are not accepting more than 18 registered students (there are two scholarship spots available, the total capacity for the camp is 20 students).
* Please submit your application form early to ensure a spot in the Space Camp. If we receive more than 18 registrations we will notify you that the camp is above capacity and issue you a full refund.
Please note the Deke Slayton Space Camp requires a minimum of 8 participants who must be enrolled by July 20th, if the minimum is not met the camp may be cancelled and you will receive a refund of your deposit.